Thursday, December 15, 2016

Low Tide at Crab Cove: Splash Zone

Exposed Branching Bryozoan
I walked along the edge of Crab Cove last night during a substantial minus tide.  When I arriived, about 5:30 PM, it was dark.  In a narrow band along the landward edge of the concrete walkway the water pools, among rocks of various sizes.  along the seaward edge is trapped a very narrow and shallow line of water; along one part I find a branched bryozoan, exposed but we  t enough to possibly be alive.  I am searching for hydroids.  None will reveal themselves this evening.

Looking back toward the visitors center
Along this narrow band, I was experimenting with the camera.  I have a selfie stick that I hope to use for photo transects along the mudflat, but in this darkness I am reluctant to try it.  The selfie stick is capricious, depending on the camera app I employ and the settings, so it requires further experimentation before trying this in the field, on the mud.  I am wearing my mud boots, but tonight I will not walk out onto the mud; the only other time I did so in these boots, it was also dark, and I got stuck in the mud for a brief time.  Neither am I experimenting with the macro attachment lens.




Along the edge is a railing.  It is possible to kneel with one knee on the lower rail.  Many amphipods and isopods are scudding about, and insects are around.  I take some random shots, found a few insects.   A large limpet had emerged from a small crevice, where some conspecifics were still ensconced.





Some denizens of the splash zone

An invasive Bryozoan (arrived in the 40's)

A Bryozoan appearing to be Cryptosula pallasia.

 In the field (photo at night)
















In the bowl





















In the microscope

The shape of the Aperture appears to conform with Cryptosula pallasia. 
Closer


Camoflaged, a Scale Worm. 

 A Scale worm



This might exhibit light flashes.  Something to check.












An unidentified insect


An unidentified insect, and some other critters.













No comments:

Post a Comment