Monday, February 27, 2017

Macro explorations: Studies of an unknown Cypress



"The best camera is the one you have in your pocket."  Who said that?

I want to document some work I have been doing with a shrub/small tree outside our apartment,.  Over recent months, I have been photographing the development of flowers, and taken thousands of photos.  Only a few are worthy of saving, but part of the project---and part of what I have been doing with the phone in general---is to document seasonal events.   I haven't gotten that far with this plant.

I used several methods.  Some were obviously not macro shots.  One or two may have been taken using a low cost clip-on macro lens (that turns out not to be very effect overall), and several using a Moment Macro lens.  I were taken on an iPhone7 plus.  Microscope shots were taken through a vintage Olympus Stereomicroscope; it obviously needs cleaning.

My limited googling has led to the understanding that related Cypresses flower and reproduce in Winter.  The mechanics are apparently complicated. 

October:




December:






Remnants of a (cone?)  I thinkit's complicated.






February 24, 25, 2017




Notice the drop of liquid.  It was NOT raining.  On the lower flower.




Microscope:





Bug (pollinator?)


On plant

MIcroscope shot
Microscope shot





No comments:

Post a Comment